Sunday, December 22, 2019

Christmas, Danish style part 1

Orange stage, Roskilde Festival
It was a beautiful sunny day in June, summer finally arrived and I was super excited about Roskilde festival that was starting in about two weeks. My girlfriend was lying in the sofa crocheting and I was fiddling with something in the kitchen and then the question came:

"Are you planning to go to Croatia this Christmas?"

My curtains rolled down and the feeling of dread loomed in, I am not the biggest fan of Christmas.

"Why are we talking about Christmas? Summer barely started, it is not even July jet?"

"Well, I need to know your plans for Christmas, so we can organize ourselves. This Christmas I am spending time with my dads family and I need to inform them are we coming together or not so they can prepare in time."

"But how much planning do they need? As I said, summer didn't even start yet?!?"

Christmas decorations in Roskilde
Christmas is huge in Denmark and it is not a topic it should be taken lightly. Plans for Christmas dinners are set in place for couple of years in advance. "This year I have Christmas dinner with my dad family and next year with my moms family" she said. I wouldn't be surprised, that now with my tiny Croatian family Christmas dinners will have to be planned on a three years cycle or on a four year cycle.
Conversations about Christmas dinner continued through the whole summer. At the end of August, after we came back from holiday and her dad and his wife came back from holiday we didn't share funny holiday stories and events. And why should we, it's not like we are full of fresh holiday impressions. We planned sitting arrangements for the Christmas dinner. Which was at the same time amusing and annoying because Christmas is just around the corner and summer is in the ancient past. I mean, who thinks about summer on a beautiful warm August night when you are having a cozy time outside in shorts until 22 and it's still daytime, it's time to buy Christmas presents and talk deserts and sitting arrangements.

But things start to get really interesting with Christmas dinners on a work place. So allegedly, (un)fortunately I haven't tried, Christmas dinners on a workplace can go really wild in Denmark. They can turn into an orgy?!!? So, after drinking and eating themselves blind, sometimes Danes can also fuck each others brains out on a Christmas dinner and never mention it afterwards, just like it never happened. I am not certain, should I be looking forward to experiencing one such Christmas dinner or not...

God Jul! What are your Christmas dinner plans for 2033?

No comments:

Post a Comment